- The recreational harvest of red grouper in South Atlantic federal waters will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, September 25, 2019.
- Recreational harvest will open at 12:01 a.m., local time, on May 1, 2020.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2019 recreational catch limit is 88,000 pounds whole weight.
- Recreational landings have exceeded the recreational catch limit; therefore, recreational harvest must close.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- During the recreational closure, the bag and possession limits of red grouper in or from federal waters are zero.
- The prohibition on harvest or possession of red grouper applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal charter vessel/headboat permit for South Atlantic snapper-grouper.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#_top.